Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mustard Pickles

I wanted to share with everyone a recipe that I found while in Nova Scotia. I have to thank my friend's mother, Carol Bray, for sharing it with me. She lives on a farm and shared this lovely pickle recipe with me. I haven't tried it yet, but when I start living closer to the land I will definitely start to pickle. Someone should try it and get back to me though.

Mustard Pickles

Day 1

7 cucumbers
5 onions
1 c coarse salt

Peel and remove seeds from cucumbers. cut in small pieces. cut onions into small pieces and mix with cucumbers.

Sprinkle salt over cucumbers and onions and let stand overnight.

Day 2

3 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1 T dry mustard
1 T tumeric
1T celery seed
2 c vinegar

In the morning drain and rinse the cucumbers with cold water.

Add vegetables to sauce mixture and heat slowly. Cool until cucumbers are translucent. Ladle into hot sterile bottles.

And voila! You have pickles!

No comments: