Friday, August 6, 2010

Fruit Crisp


I decided that, since I like to cook, i would add the odd recipe. The next couple will be recipes because I've been at home doing some cooking with some lovely local ingriedents.

I actually came home to beautiful rhubarb (saved by my wonderful Mother) and what else can one do with rhubarb but make a crisp. Nothing says comfort food quite like a crisp. There's sweet, gooey fruit underneath with crispy sugary goodness on top. Some like to add the silky smoothness of ice cream, but I have to admit that I like my crisp straight. I usually take dessert straight without whip cream or ice cream to flatten the taste of a good dessert. However, it does make it look pretty.

I decided to challenge myself this time by not using either brown sugar or cinnamon in this one. Instead, I grated some cardamon I found in the cupboard to give it a sweet, spiciness and used maple syrup to sweeten it. I used maple syrup in the topping as well which made it quite a bit crispier. I liked the crunch of this topping in comparison to the softness of brown sugar. I also bulked out my rhubarb with some fresh apples and saskatoons. The saskatoons gave it a nice purple colour, as well as a Saskatchewan flare. However, 5 cups of almost any fruit would work. Apples and blueberries . . . peaches . . . plums . . . yum yum

Fruit Crisp

Filling
1 ½ c rhubarb
2 apples
1 ½ c saskatoons
1/3 c maple syrup
1 tsp. Cardamom
1/2 tsp. All spice

Topping
1 c oats
1/3 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c maple syrup
1/4 c butter (melted)
1 tsp cardamom

Cut up all the fruit and spread it in a casserole dish. Mix in the spices with the maple syrup. Let sit while mixing the topping.

Combine dry ingredients with cardamon. Add maple syrup and butter until it forms a crumbly topping. Spread over the prepared fruit. Bake for 40-50 minutes at 350 C.

No comments: