Monday, August 2, 2010

Go, Riders, Go!


I had the good fortune to go to a Rider Game at Taylor Field since coming home. I’ve become more of a football fan since leaving the province. Sometimes I wonder if they put some green dye in the water to make sure the people of Saskatchewan become Rider fans. My family is evidence of the amount of love showered on this team. My brother and sister both have partners from outside of Saskatchewan who now happily identify themselves as Rider fans (my own boyfriend also numbers himself among the Rough Rider fans). This game was special though because my little niece came to her first game ever in her whole life (we’re not counting the ones she attended in her mama’s tummy). I have to say she’s the happiest baby I’ve ever seen. She grinned her way through the whole game. And for the most part she even clapped at the right times. Although, smiling Mommy, Daddy, Granddad, Grandma, and Aunt might have influenced her clapping decisions just a little bit.

Little does my niece know though that it takes a special person to be a Rider fan. Rider fans go out in rain or shine in their best green and white outfits. Most even boast owning t-shirts in both colours so they have some choice come game time. I’m always amazed at the outfits sported at Rider games. Sometimes the fans are more interesting than the game on the field. Personally, I’ve always liked the watermelon on the head. And buying a fake, plastic watermelon from the Rider store is cheating. If you’re going to go with the watermelon, you should be authentic. I liked the guy near us who added to his watermelon hat with a green broom on top. I thought that was original.

Although, perhaps, crazy clothing is not the true mark of a Rider fan; it is sticking with this team through thick and thin. The franchise celebrated its 100 year anniversary. It’s an amazing achievement for a team that has won 3 Grey Cups in 100 years. We are tied with teams who only lasted ten years. Yet, the fans still come to watch them play. I’m living proof because I’ve been going to Rider games for as long as I can remember. You can bet that the Rider fans will cheer on their team when they’re doing well and complain loudly when they’re doing poorly. This game proved no different. True to form, the Riders gave us plenty to complain about when failing to punch it in from within 5 yards of the goal line THREE times. They still got field goals, and I suppose points are points. In honour of me being home, they were kind enough to win with a score of 37-24 for us. At the end of the day though, with all their faults, the Riders are a Saskatchewan institution.

No comments: