Monday, July 26, 2010

Dog Days of Kingston



So I have finally officially moved out of Kingston. I left four days ago. However, I wanted to note some of the attractions I saw in my final days in that lovely city.

Kevin and I made it out to the Penitentiary Museum. I have to admit that the prisons are one of the defining features of Kingston. Not only does it have eight prisons, but they played a part in the history. Perhaps I think the prisons are important simply because Margaret Atwood set Alias Grace in a Kingston prison and Charles Dickens also visited the prison in Kingston. Truly, the Kingston Pen has been attracting tourists for as long as it’s been open. They even offered tours at one point during the 19th century. I think the Victorians had a bigger appetite for watching other people’s suffering. Kingston also offered those tourists the chance to watch public hangings. I still don’t really understand the appeal, but maybe they would find riding elevators up tall buildings quite boring (an attraction most North American cities offer). Heck, I find that somewhat boring although much nicer than walking up all the stairs. Be careful in Europe though because the dome at the Duomo (Cathedral) in Florence has no elevator. They make you exercise. But I digress. Continuing with the prisons in Kingston, I wanted to add that right by the prison is the village of Portsmouth, founded in 1784, but which grew in order to provide housing and services to the prison staff in the next century. At the beginning of its existence, the prisoners were treated much more harshly, as well as put to work without pay. All of the iron workings, as well as the building itself, was made by the prisoners. I think it would be the worst feeling in the world to be building the tiny cells that would eventually house yourself. However, the reproduction of the current cells resembles a college dorm to a certain extent with bars for the door. The prison wasn’t the only thing the prisoners made. They also built the Church of the Good Thief or St. Diasmus. This parish still exists and provides mass for its parishioners every Sunday. It is a beautiful little church with wood paneling on the ceiling and walls, as well as stained glass windows. It was my favourite church in Kingston partly because it’s adorable, but also because of its history. I guess something good came out of the prison.

We also experienced the historic side of Kingston by touring Fort Henry. The British built Fort Henry in 1832-1837 to protect us from an American invasion. The living conditions of the average 19th century soldier do leave something to be desired. We saw Murney Tower, one of the Martello Towers, and they also had very cramped quarters. I think I live in about the same amount of space for just me while they would have shared the same amount with 20 other people. I did find the cooking implements interesting. They had iron waffle makers, coffee grinders, pancake pans, and even a dish drier. So basically my kitchen isn’t much better than theirs would have been . . . . although now that I think about it I don’t have a waffle maker or a coffee grinder so maybe they do win. How depressing.
What I didn’t know about Fort Henry is that it’s considered one of the most haunted places in North America. The Haunted Walk we took through said that Ghost Hunters, a television show, visited this site. I did find myself becoming a little jumpy. Kevin lives right beside the Fort and our guide told us that many men died in the hidden ditches on late night walks home. Luckily, the ditches seem to be less hidden nowadays, but I’m still a little worried. Mostly there’s just been reports of strange noises and doors closing. I think there are creepier sites in the downtown area. I definitely felt jumpy for the rest of the night although this could be a result of my lovely boyfriend and best friend. I started feeling a little chilled in this one room where other tour guests had felt less than pleasant, and to aid my creepy feeling both Bre and Kevin blew on my neck. Next time I might consider leaving some people behind. . .

My final days in Kingston would not have been complete without final stops at all my favourite restaurants. I made my own pizza at Woodenhead’s, followed by coffee at the Sleepless Goat and I wrapped it up with a Lemon Currant Bun from Pan Chancho. I actually bought the Chez Piggy cook book so I can make my own Lemon Currant Buns. I’ll keep you posted on how that goes. For now, I’ve said good bye to all my favourite restaurants in Kingston and I look forward some welcome back parties at these gems.

No comments: